Mustangs lead after strong first half

SMU 17, Tulsa 13
SMUs Brian McCann gets hit attempting to receive a punt in the second quarter against Tulsa at Ford Stadium.
Lindsey Perkins, The Daily Campus
SMU’s Brian McCann gets hit attempting to receive a punt in the second quarter against Tulsa at Ford Stadium.

SMU’s Brian McCann gets hit attempting to receive a punt in the second quarter against Tulsa at Ford Stadium. (Lindsey Perkins, The Daily Campus)

Led by the legs of Chris Butler and the arm of Bo Levi Mitchell the Mustangs have a first half lead against undefeated Tulsa.

Tulsa got on the board first with a 24-yard field goal from Jarod Tracy. But SMU would respond with back-to-back touchdowns.

The first was a 65-yard drive capped by a 26-yard touchdown pass to Cole Beasley. The second started when Brian McCann intercepted a pass in the end zone. The Mustangs would drive 80 yards in four plays, ending with an 18-yard touchdown pass to Aldrick Robinson.

Tulsa would respond on its next drive compliling a 70-yard drive and a 15-yard touchdown pass. The Mustangs and Golden Hurricane would trade field goals at the end of the half, a 46-yard field goal for Thomas Morstead and a 34-yard field goal for Tracy.

Mitchell finished the half completing 11 of 19 passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns. Butler led the rushing game with 78 yards on six carries.

Tulsa will get the ball first in the second half trailing 17-13.