B-PAX: Paris’ new psycho barbies

Are you a pop culture whore?? Do you love watching all of the reality trash television found on MTV and VH1?? Does it make you giddy to hear news about the latest Lindsay, Paris, or Britney shenanigans that will inevitably be plastered on the covers of US Weekly and OK! magazine?? If so, then I don’t have to tell you about the latest flaming ball of dung that’s somehow landed on our TV sets: ‘I Wanna Be Paris Hilton’s New BFF.’? This reality TV show is by far one of the trashiest concepts I’ve ever heard of.

The concept of the show is similar to those of ‘The Bachelor.’? Before the show aired, aspiring ‘besties’ poured their hearts out on videos, explaining why they would be Paris Hilton’s best friend, that they uploaded at parisBFF.com.? I doubt the celebutante chose her actual BBF ‘suitors,’ due to the interesting selection.? I laugh out loud just thinking about the ridiculousness of the series premiere.

This selection of poor wanna be groupies obey Paris’ every whim or they’re punished by being outcasts, sleep deprived, or forced to wear the same outfit twice. OMG!

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t give Paris Hilton any more undeserved attention, however it’s the potential BFFs that have me giggling and wanting more.? If you do watch the show, watch out for Onch, the androgynous Asian American boy that is too outrageous for words.? I nearly fell on the floor laughing after the she declared, “OMG! I just love her so much!,” after a fellow contestant was voted off the show a few hours after they actually met.? Other characters prove much less interesting, but are just as hungry to get the coveted position of being Paris’ next lap dog.

It’s more nauseating than anything, though.? The contestants are so desperate to win the heiress’s favor and to stand out, they seem like a collection of psycho Barbie dolls trapped in a cage together fighting over a pair of Prada heels.? But it’s something better, the chance to be a temporary throw-away friend to their one and only golden-haired goddess.? Much like “A Shot of Love with Tila Tequila,” I have a feeling that these BFFs just won’t work out. Oh well, it will give Paris the much desired chance to go back on television for more reality filth that we all might secretly be watching.

The problem: The only thing I truly fear about this series is that it will increase the size of Paris’ already large army of skanks.? While it is entertaining to watch Paris make a fool of herself, she is nothing for young girls to aspire too, unless, they love being objectified by men and plan on being completely clueless to anyone but themselves.

?However sickening the series may be, I have a feeling that I’ll be tuning in to get a laugh or two.? The series is so intoxicatingly bad and shallow, I’m sure viewers will be tuning because it seems we all love to hate her.

Brent Paxton is a junior international relations and political science double major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].