Taos campus adding fall semester for 2009

The Las Trampas church is an original adobe building near Taos, New Mexico. It is a popular destination for students attending the SMU-In-Taos program.
Stuart Palley

The Las Trampas church is an original adobe building near Taos, New Mexico. It is a popular destination for students attending the SMU-In-Taos program. (Stuart Palley)

Fort Burgwin is setting the stage for a new era in its history.

The home of the SMU-in-Taos campus is getting ready to welcome 60 students for the inaugural fall semester in 2009.

The campus has been unable to have classes during fall because facilities are not able to handle the winter months. However, a recent $4 million gift by former Texas Governor William P. Clements, Jr. and his wife, as well as $900,000 from several other donors, has provided for the winterization and expansion of the campus.

The Board of Trustees mandated a fall semester about five years ago, according to Assistant Director of the Taos program Suellen Turner, and the campus now has a master plan to meet those goals.

A spring semester is not currently in the works because of issues with snow.Turner said the campus received about 100 in. last year. While a spring semester is not currently planned, “We are contemplating a winter interim,” she said.

But for now, the program is finalizing the fall 2009 term.

Unlike the Dallas campus, fall classes in Taos will be divided into four blocks. During each 23-day period, a student will take only one class.

“This allows a student to really go into some depth,” Michael Adler, executive director of the SMU-in-Taos program, said.

Adler said classes will be an “intensive investigation” and will be taught in the Honor Program format. Each class would have 12 to 15 students.

Students who participate in the program will be required to take 12-16 hours. Designed for a “third semester student,” the program offers classes that fall under the General Education Curriculum. Both Adler and Turner said that while the program is intended for first semester sophomores, other sophomores, juniors and seniors could apply if it worked with their graduation plan.

Classes include biology, Spanish, wellness, anthropology and accounting. There is also a special Cultural Formations class taught by Adler and a local writer that will feature a community service component and will span the entire semester. Most of the classes will feature a connection to the surrounding culture.

Students who wish to apply must go through an application process that includes an interview. A 3.3 GPA is required for all applicants.

Applications and information on the program will be available by Oct. 31. Students can find it online or visit the SMU-in-Taos office in suite 338 in the Blanton building.

Application deadlines have not been set, but Turner said that they are looking at early November or early January. This is because financial aid information is due in late January. An official deadline will be set by Oct. 31.

The program will cost the same as the Dallas campus, and the financial aid procedure is also the same.

The program offers students a chance to live in a residential college setting. Adler said Colorado College offers a similar experience.

Within the program, students and professors live on campus together. Existing dorms are set to be renovated in time for the summer, while new dorms are set to be completed in time for fall. Each dorm will have 2 to 3 people living in suites and sharing a communal bathroom. Internet and cell phone service will be available.

“This is a unique learning experience,” Turner said. “It’s hands-on education and an opportunity to learn in a wonderful setting.”