New beginnings

A new coach can provide a team with a fresh start, especially when that coach has a wide array of talent, experience and knowledge in their field.

On Aug. 3, SMU welcomed the newest member of the equestrian team to the Hilltop, head coach Haley Schoolfield.

Schoolfield comes to SMU after helping coach TCU’s English division for two years, leading the Horned Frogs to the 2008 Western Seat National Championship title and a first place finish in the Individual Championship division.

This season, the Mustangs will host TCU in February.

Last year, SMU achieved a season-high ranking as the No.11 team, according to Intercollegiate Equestrian Coaches Poll, but fell to No.6 Oklahoma State University in the National Championships in April. All in all, the Mustangs went 5-11, with a 4-9 record against nationally ranked programs, 13 of which were among the top 12 nationally ranked teams.

Returning to the ring is senior and team captain Kristen Collins. Last year, Collins went 7-5 over fences, leading her to her seventh win in fences over No.6 OSU in the Varsity National Championships in April.

SMU also saw their biggest win in the program’s history last November when they knocked off the No.2 team from the University of Georgia at the Park Lane Equestrian Center in Dallas.

The Mustangs open their season against Auburn on the 18th, where they will look to break even against the Tigers after a 7-3 loss last season.

On the schedule for this season is a trip to Connecticut against the former No.12 Sacred Heart University in October, a team SMU defeated 10-0 last season on the road. The Mustangs will also face Baylor on the road in January. Other events were not available at press time.