The Way I See It: Come out and support the Mustangs, because, let’s be honest, they really need it

As the sports editor, I feel it is my sworn duty to encourage everyone, freshmen and upperclassmen alike, to attend the upcoming football game this weekend. SMU has a good chance to make some noise this year.

Okay, so I’ve thought that every year I’ve been here. But, in my defense, the football team raised the bar pretty high for themselves my freshman year going 6-6. I figured they would build on their success my sophomore year, but they instead went backward, going 11-1. And then last year, June Jones came and everyone, myself included, expected him to turn the program around instantly. And while they did show flashes of hope last year, they ended up only winning one game again.

However, things are finally in place for SMU to start climbing their way back into the spotlight. And I’m saying this as a sports analyst, not an SMU fan. But, the bigger reason you should go is because the team needs you.

The SMU football team has never had the opportunity to play for a full-capacity crowd…well, at least not a friendly full-capacity crowd. My freshmen year, I traveled to Texas Tech with the band and let me say, seeing that many fans screaming, cheering and freaking out over every play is spine tingling. Even though our team was getting stomped on and the crowd was throwing tortillas at us, I’ve never felt a more electric atmosphere.

But, don’t just stop with football games. The other sports programs need your support as well. And they’re not bad to watch either. SMU possesses the best overall sports program in the conference. Last year alone, SMU teams won a total of five conference championships and made appearances in their respective NCAA tournaments.

Finally, if you haven’t heard about our pre-game festivities, look around and find the nearest upperclassman and ask him or her. SMU students don’t tailgate…we Boulevard. The Boulevard is the place to be and “Boulevarding” is the thing to do up to three hours before the game. You can party and eat it up with all the fraternities and sororities on campus, as well as a majority of the other organizations on campus.

And once you’re done eating and celebrating with friends, please don’t just leave and crash in your dorm or apartment. Instead, listen for the music and follow Peruna, the cheerleaders, the Pom squad and the Mustang Band as they lead the way to Ford Stadium. I can almost guarantee you that SMU will win, and if they do, the fans should all storm the field.

So, I encourage you to at least come out and experience this one game. The athletic department and Coach Jones are trying their best to sell out the first game and if they do, it’s going to be an incredible atmosphere.