Sprinkles lends Mustangs sweet support

Sprinkles Cupcakes gives SMU fans more reasons to cheer.

Sprinkles Cupcakes has accomplished what most of the SMU community may have deemed impossible: it has made “Boulevarding”, one of SMU’s most beloved traditions, even sweeter.

Every home football game day, the Sprinkles cupcake store in Dallas will sell “Mustang Marshmallow” cupcakes adorned with a red SMU Mustang candy. The signature flavor features dark chocolate cake topped with rich chocolate ganache and stuffed with all-natural vanilla marshmallow filling.

Since the world’s first bakery devoted exclusively to cupcakes opened its Dallas location in The Plaza at Preston Center in 2007, the city has embraced the Beverly Hills-based company. Now the store is doing its part to return the favor.

“We are proud supporters of SMU and we want SMU students to get excited about their team,” Emily Antrainer, general manager of Sprinkles’s Dallas location, said.

In addition to boosting Mustang team spirit, Sprinkles will host a charity event with the Dallas Cowboys Sept. 12-19. To honor the Cowboys, the store will premiere a limited edition “Blue Velvet” cupcake frosted with cream cheese icing and topped with a blue sugar star. All the proceeds from each cupcake goes towards the Salvation Army, the Cowboys’ charity of choice.

To further entice customers to indulge for a good cause, one silver star will be hidden inside a “Blue Velvet” cupcake during the week of the charity event. Daily winners will receive a dozen “Blue Velvet” cupcakes, a tour for two at the brand new Texas Stadium, a Dallas Cowboys T-shirt and hat, and a shot at winning the grand prize. The lucky winner will score tickets to the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day game, an invitation to a private halftime rehearsal, a stadium tour for four, four Cowboys jerseys and one football autographed by Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, as well as head coach Wade Phillips.

Since the first Sprinkles opened in Los Angeles in 2005, owners Candace and Charles Nelson have donated over a million dollars in cash and cupcakes to non-profit organizations near their bakeries. The Dallas store donates its leftover cupcakes to Dallas Metrocare Services.

Beginning mid-September, Sprinkles will offer another feature tailored towards the SMU community: Customers can personalize their cupcakes with the Greek alphabet. Greek organizations can visit or call the bakery and ask for their flavors of choice to be freshly frosted and adorned with their organization’s letters.

For information on special giveaways and new flavors, Sprinkles enthusiasts can now follow the store on Facebook and Twitter. The bakery’s supporters, fans and addicts alike can rejoice; not only do they love Sprinkles, but Sprinkles loves the Mustangs too.