Mustangs bully UNT Mean Green

SMU middle blocker Courtney Manning goes up to stop the ball against Amy Huddleston of UNT in Moody Coliseum on Wednesday night. STUART PALLEY/The Daily Campus

After a disjointed first set, the Mustangs beat the University of North Texas Eagles 3-1. The first game of the 2009 season, held in Moody Coliseum last night, was a success for the home team. Although the season opener had been a disappointment, the Mustangs were able to move forward and bring their best to the court after several days of practicing their defensive intensity.

Mustangs lost the first set 22-25 after jostling back and forth for the lead. The second set was a complete turn around from the first.

“It was about our intensity and focus. We came out in this second game and it looked like a new team, felt like a new team,” said sophomore Dana Powell.

The third set began and ended with mustang domination 25-17. The fourth and final set finished with a victorious 24-11.

Head coach Seifert said “I expected to see more from us the first set, but we settled down in the second and played very well in the final two.”

Aside from an exciting win, there were many accomplishments on the individual level. Kelli Becerra had 46 assists, her second highest this season. Kathryn Wilkerson had her first double-double of the season. Dana Powell also had a double-double and 15 digs. Jessica Oliver and Kendra Kahanek both came in with an impressive six blocks. Freshmen involvement has been a tradition on this team and Courtney Manning proved this to be true with five blocks last night.

The team has very little time to sit back and enjoy their job well done. On Sept. 4, the Mustangs will go head-to-head with Jacksonville State and Alabama. SMU will then play McNeese State on Sept. 5.

Although the team feels they have room to improve their newly toned defense, coach Seifert said, “I’ve told the girls to take it one day at time; we will get better every time we step on this court.”