Dorm friendly exercises

It’s the first full week of school and life is hectic already. It’s hard to balance going out, making new friends on your hall, organizing schoolwork and studying. Read on to learn how to get a quick workout in, without having to leave your room.

Do each exercise three timesStart with 15 reps of each Do these everyday you can’t get to the gym and you’ll have your friends asking, “Dang, who’s your trainer?”

Squats on Tiptoes:With your feet wider than your hips, squat down and place your hands on a phone book in front of you. Rise up on the tips of your toes. Staying on tiptoes and fingertips, lift your hips up towards the ceiling and straighten your knees as much as you can. Squat back down and repeat, staying on your tiptoes the entire time. Modify it by placing your hands higher (on a chair or bed).

Squats with Arms Overhead:Stand with your feet hip-distance apart. Hold a phone book or weight overhead. Bend the knees and push your butt back, like you are sitting in a chair, and squat down until your knees are at a 90-degree angle. Keeping the weight overhead, come back up and repeat.

Triceps One-Armed Pushup:Lie down on your left side, hips and knees stacked. Wrap the left arm around your torso so that your left hand is resting on your right waist. Place your right hand on the floor in front of you, palm parallel to your body. Squeeze your triceps and push your body up. Lower and repeat before switching sides.

Plank:Starting at the top of a pushup position, bend your elbows and lower yourself down until you are on your forearms. Elbows and forearms should be underneath your chest. Maintain a flat back and do not let your hips sink towards the ground. Hold for 30 seconds.

Marissa Adamany is a junior marketing and CCPA double major. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].