Consulting firms offer advice to soon-to-be graduates

Finding a career after graduation can be a daunting task in our current economy.

Seven consulting companies are seeking out the SMU campus for the best students to hire into their consulting firms. Most of the representatives were graduates of SMU with degrees in engineering or business.

Kent Kurkwood of Bain & Co. says that they are looking for well-rounded students who show to be an asset to the company.

Consulting companies are usually hired to help clients find a way to make their business more efficient.

Senior Manager of Accenture, Scot Denzer states “I spent the majority of my time working with my clients. Understanding what their challenges are. Then we look for the technology to allow them to take advantage of an opportunity”

In the beginning of the event, students were introduced with the five most important qualities consulting firms are looking for: high achievers, critical thinkers, strong work ethic, adaptability, and team players. Play up these qualities in your future interviews.

SMU and the Hegi Family Career and Development Center help students to put themselves out there and make sure they accentuate their best qualities.

Su Zhen, a soon to be finance graduate, enjoyed the event.

“It showed me what options I have for when I started working very soon.”

Denzer left the audience with a lasting message. “Don’t get discouraged if you find it difficult to get a job. Keep going with your best foot forward.”