Students gather for Vice Presidential debate

Politically-conscious SMU students gathered in O’Donnell Hall at Meadows last Thursday to watch the Vice Presidential Debate and participate in a debate of their own.

The Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Department sponsored the event, where both partisan and non-partisan student groups had tables and displays. Non-partisan student groups in attendance included Democracy Matters, Students for a Better Society, Political Science Symposium and the Association of Black Students. The remaining two party affiliated groups were SMU Democrats and College Republicans.

The debate watching party began with an opportunity for students to walk among the various displays and talk with others in attendance. Students were even able to unofficially cast their votes by drinking free coffee out of “McCain” or “Obama” cups from 7-Eleven.

Once everyone filed into the hall, Professors Voth and Salinas gave an overview of the debate and their opinions of it. Professor Salinas observed, “I don’t know if there’s been this much attention to a VP debate… The reason for that is Governor Palin. What is she going to say next?”

Professor Voth compared it to the 1988 Bentsen-Quayle vice presidential debate when Senator Bentsen stated, “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.” Voth characterized the 1988 debate as, “perhaps the most memorable VP debate moment.”

Students also had lofty expectations. Senior Pragya Lohani and secretary of SMU Democrats was, “interested to see how Sarah Palin does.” The president of the club, senior Sean Cote noted, “I think it’s gonna be more interesting than the presidential debate.”

Much of the interest value of the debate was in the audience’s interaction with the debaters. Part of the room would clap and cheer when Biden made a good point. When Palin had an exceptional reply, a totally different group would shout their approval.

Afterward, two SMU debaters from the Speech and Debate Team, Jennifer Smart and freshman Jordan Wondrack spoke for Palin and Biden respectively. In her argument, Smart contrasted Palin with Biden: “[Palin’s] statements in interviews might have been vague, but not factually incorrect. That’s Biden’s territory.” Wondrack asserted, “the superior candidate in this debate is always going to be Obama.”

After the opening statements and cross-examinations, the floor was open for students to discuss important topics ranging from genocide to education to the economy. The evening culminated in an audience vote for the winner of the televised debate and the student debate. Both times, Palin came out victorious.