Intramural season begins

Along with a new academic year, SMU welcomes new students eager to embrace the full college experience.  Intramural sports are among the many programs and opportunities SMU has to offer for students to get involved on campus.

Jack Harper, assistant director for intramurals and sport clubs, hopes to get students excited about the upcoming Intramurals.

“Intramurals are a great way to develop life long friendships through friendly competition,” he said. “The many different activities offered provide opportunities for almost anyone who is interested.”

Intramurals have a wide variety of sports to choose from, according to each student’s preference and style. The first deadline for registering for soccer, volleyball, sand volleyball and 3-on-3 basketball is Sept. 3. Other deadlines for sports such as tennis, climbing, flag football, golf, billiards and table tennis will come later in the semester. For a detailed schedule of these registration deadlines, visit the SMU Intramurals Web site and select “Registration Information.”

Students across the campus can participate and enjoy intramurals; the program is meant to reach everyone. There is a spirit of competition, but in a friendly rather than stressful way. Harper said the purpose of intramurals is to “have fun!” He said it helps students “stay active, meet new people and fully enjoy the time they have at SMU.”

Many first-year students might be wary of joining some activities because it is outside their comfort zone. This program is designed to help them get out and meet new people.

“They can get to know other freshmen and form lasting friendships. I still talk to many people I met playing intramurals freshman year,” Harper said.

Intramurals also offer a way to be a part of the program without playing one of the sports, and earning some extra cash.

The intramural office is hiring officials for soccer, volleyball, flag football and indoor soccer. Paid training is offered for those who are interested, and officials will be paid $8.50 a game. For information visit the SMU Intramurals Web site for questions or contact information.