Brown bag series a huge success

Faculty, staff, students and parents all crowded the Owens Arts Center Lobby during lunch this week, anxiously awaiting what are considered the most popular dance shows of each semester. The Brown Bag Dance Series, put on every semester by the Meadows School of Arts Division of Dance, did not disappoint.

The student choreographers and their dancers have worked tirelessly over the past four weeks to put together the show. Jasmine Black, a freshman dancer in Jarrell Hamilton’s piece “L,” says that though sometimes the process consisted of rehearsing six days a week, “with rehearsal until midnight and an eight a.m. class the next morning, I think it has really taught us time management.”

Though most audience members watch the performances impressed with steps, for the choreographers, each move has meaning behind it.

The choreographer for “Reprieve,” Kimberly Lyons, said that her piece is about feminism. Lyons says she was moved by the final quote in a song by Ani DiFranco “Feminism ain’t about equality, it’s about reprieve.” She used the song for her piece.

“Women should have the strength to say, ‘this is my body’ and men should respect that,” Lyons said.

Hamilton says this is her fourth season choreographing for Brown Bag. She explained that her piece was driven by the music by Phillip Glass as well as a high school mentor who she lost recently.

“He was the one that introduced me to classical music,” said Hamilton.

Calvin Rollins, choreographer for the sexy piece “Femme Fatale”, watched his piece with confidence, though his nerves are apparent.

“They’ve rehearsed so much and in every rehearsal and performance they’ve just kicked it up a notch,” said Rollins.

His piece is about breaking free from the control that is placed about us.

“It’s about staying true to yourself and doing your own thing,” he said.

Louis Acquisto and Morgana Phlaum both choreographed and danced in their piece, “6 degrees.” The piece is about how crazy life can be and the realization no one is alone in that craziness.

“Everyone is experiencing the same thing and then we begin to rely on each other,” said Phlaum.

Chrysta Brown’s piece “Finding X” differed from other pieces. Instead of being set to music, it was set to narration. Erik Carter, a Theater Major, spoke the words of Jamal Joseph while Brown danced. Brown says she was inspired by Joseph’s piece that she first heard in a DEF jam poetry performance as well as her recent experiences in Harlem.

The show included several other equally pleasing and impressive performances.

Choreographers and dancers agreed that this may be one of the best Brown Bags they’ve experienced because of the balance each dance gave to the show.

“This was the experience of a lifetime,” said dancer Jamal Jackson.

The final performance of the Fall 2008 Brown Bag Series will be Friday at 12 p.m. in the Owens Arts Center Lobby.