No vacancy for families

SMU’s Family Weekend is the biggest weekend on the university’s social calendar.

Many families will travel to Dallas this weekend from all over the country, leaving those who haven’t planned in advance without a place to stay near campus.

“The hotel (Lumen) sold out for Family Weekend in early April and Homecoming Weekend is also sold out,” Rachel Clanton, Hotel Lumen receptionist, said.

Other hotels in the area, such as Hotel Palomar, Hilton Park Cities and Embassy Suites Dallas-Love Field are completely booked as well.

People unfamiliar with the Dallas area may not realize some hotels have created special rates for SMU families, students, potential students and Alumni.

The Hilton Park Cities offers a 30 percent discount for the best available room.

The Embassy Suites Dallas-Love Field offers any king or double room for $99 per night plus tax and the Palomar and Hotel Lumen offer a 10 percent discount.

The hotels are also providing many services to SMU families during their stay in Dallas this weekend, including complimentary beverages, night-time receptions and transportation to and from SMU’s campus.

For those travelers who are trying to find a place to stay once they get here, there may still be hope.

As of Sept. 13, the W Hotel still had at least 10 rooms available.

The downtown Sheraton and Hotel ZaZa also had vacancies.

Family weekend has been an SMU tradition for 35 years and brings major business to the area for local restaurants and retailers.

The Student Foundation plans the event each year with a weekend full of activities for students and their families to

attend.

“I can’t wait for my family to get here from Houston,” sophomore Amanda Patterson said.

“I’m looking forward to nice dinners out, shopping and a full day of Boulevarding at the Tri Delt tent.”

SMU has several on and off campus activities being offered to students and their families, including the opportunity for parents to see the daily life of their SMU student by attending classes on Friday.

Tours of Cowboy Stadium in Arlington will be given at 3 p.m. Friday night and IFC and Panhellenic houses will open their doors to all potential new members from 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

On Saturday, expect to find most people eager to cheer on the Mustangs at the Boulevard Barbecue right before the football game in Ford Stadium.

SMU will take on Northwestern State at 7 p.m.