Men’s soccer looks for rebound victory

This weekend, the SMU men’s soccer team takes the field again, as it tries to forget the troubles of the past. SMU, which was ranked as high as No. 2, according to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll, has lost two of its last three games.

The schedule starts with a road game Sunday at 7 p.m. against Memphis, then continues with three straight home games starting next Thursday against South Carolina.

Memphis comes into Sunday’s game with 2-7 record overall and an 0-2 in conference games. The Mustangs enter the game with a 6-2-1 record and a 0-1 record in Conference USA games.

Despite Memphis’ slow start, it is a dangerous team at home, with both of its wins coming at Mike Rose Stadium. The Tigers have a veteran goalkeeper, junior Michael Goodlett, who comes into the game with a 1.42 goals against average, 34 saves and one shutout.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Tigers are led by junior forward Brian Ferrell. He leads the team with three goals in seven games. Ryan Ruble and Thomas Shannon are also key parts to the Memphis attack as they both have two goals and an assist.

The Mustangs recieved offense from their back line in their last game, as Ryan Mursky scored his first goal of the season. Their main concern is getting their defense back into form after allowing four goals in their 4-1 loss against Tulsa on Sept. 27.

Going into the Tulsa game, junior goalkeeper Craig Hill had only allowed four goals in eight games, and had yet to give up more than one goal in a game. Even with the Tulsa game behind him, Hill has a .87 goals against average with 34 saves in nine games.

The Mustangs have had trouble handling teams playing the long ball.

“It takes away from us being able to play on the ground,” said captain Daniel Lopez. “We have to play the ball and we’re not being able to settle the ball and play out of the back. That’s really how we get things going, is playing out of the back.”

Another fault that the Mustangs must learn to avoid is allowing goals after scoring a goal of their own.

“We consistently this year have scored goals and then after we scored goal had a let up,” said head coach Tim McClements.