Award-winning director Ang Lee scores again with ‘Taking Woodstock’

Warning: This movie may persuade you to go buy tie-dye and wear fringe. No, seriously. 

I have heard many people compare our generation to that of the baby boomers, those wild, crazy teen hippies. If you think about it, we face many of the same challenges, both individually and as a whole.

Their struggle with interracial marriage is comparable to the current gay marriage issue. We are pushing to move green and take care of the earth, as were they. We love our rock bands – Kings of Leon – and they loved theirs – Janis Joplin & Grateful Dead.

For our generation, this movie is a must see, inspiring us to improve both ourselves and our society.

“Taking Woodstock” really captured the true essence of the summer of ’69 and the way it changed the world we know today. Ang Lee, known for his Academy Award-winning films “Crouching Tiger,” “Hidden Dragon” and “Brokeback Mountain,” follows Elliot Teichberg through a journey that brings Woodstock to his backyard.

Elliot, a struggling young interior designer from New York City, returns to his family’s run-down motel in the Catskills to try and bring them out from under the thumb of the bank. 

After gaining a permit for his annual music festival, which usually consists of a few local bands, Elliot hears that the neighboring town has pulled the permits on a huge festival. So, he calls the producers, hoping to drum up some business for the motel if the festival were to move more locally.

A few weeks later, more than half a million people make the almost religious pilgrimage to the site where a generation’s defining experience would change the world.

If you are looking for a feel good movie, an inspiring movie, an entertaining movie – basically just a dang good movie – go see “Taking Woodstock.” It will be the best 10 bucks you have ever spent.