Student reports sexual assault at Kappa Sigma house, SMU issues crime alert

The SMU chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
Casey Lee

The SMU chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity. (Casey Lee)

An SMU student reported Sunday that she had been sexually assaulted by another student at the Kappa Sigma house early Saturday morning. 

The alleged assault took place at 3022 SMU Blvd. at approximately 1:45 a.m. Police were notified of the event “a little after midnight on Sunday,” said Rick Schafer of the SMU Police Department, which is currently investigating the incident. 

Police could give no further information about the report at this time. 

Police have asked anyone with information to contact the police department at 214-768-3388. Information can be reported anonymously through the Silent Witness Program by calling 214-SMU-2TIP or online at http://www.smu.edu/2tip.

In an alert sent to students this morning, the SMU Police Department released  the following tips to students:

If you are sexually assaulted:

• Call the police and seek medical attention immediately. Time is critical in such cases. (214-768-3388 or 911).

• Have a Rape Kit Exam performed at Presbyterian Hospital or Parkland Memorial Hospital. SMU Police will take you to the hospital and pay for this exam.

• A representative from SMU Psychological Services for Women will be available to accompany you (214-768-4795).

• Don’t bathe or shower. A medical doctor will need to gather forensic evidence from you.

• Save your clothing, bed sheets, pillow covers, etc. Do not wash them. Police will need these items, too.

• Seek counseling from SMU Psychological Services for Women at 214-768-2277.

Never drink from an open container that has been out of your possession for any length of time.

If you think you may have been drugged, seek medical attention immediately and contact the police.

Exercise caution when you are with people you do not know.

Be responsible with alcohol. If you are intoxicated, you are less alert and become an easy target for an attacker.