‘Melrose Place’ needs more time to develop

After revamping ’90s hit shows like Beverly Hills 90210, the teen-friendly TV network The CW struck back last night with another ’90s hit-“Melrose Place.”

Die-hard fans of the original show, like myself, will love the return of Sydney Andrews (Laura Leighton) and Dr. Michael Mancini (Thomas Calabro) in their original roles.

Although the original series ended with Sydney meeting a fateful car accident, it was a surprise to see her in the new series as the landlady of the complex, only to be found dead face down in the pool within the first seven minutes of the show.

Besides the Sydney, the new series follows Jonah Miller (Michael Rady), an aspiring filmmaker and his girlfriend, Riley Richmond (Jessica Lucas), the token couple. Ella Simms, a publicist who was close to Sydney until she threatened to evict her from the complex. Then again threatening to kick your friend out will turn any relationship sour.

Sydney is also involved in the lives of two of the show’s other characters.

David Breck (Shaun Sipos) has a relationship, or should I say affair, with Sydney, even though she was involved with his father, Michael.Auggie Kirkpatrick (Colin Egglesfield) meets Sydney at an AA meeting and she is able to mold him and inspire him.  When their relationship sours, Sydney goes back to drinking.

Although missing from the new version is the show’s iconic theme song, the new show features trendy music much like the original. Just when I think the similarities end right there Violet Foster (Ashlee Simpson-Wentz) tells Lauren she could be a high-class escort to earn money for her debts. 

New fans of the show will love new story lines and staring at trendy people living it up in West Hollywood, scenes found in some of the country’s hottest celeb magazines.

Last night’s show did not really leave viewers wanting more, just confused. Although I want to tell viewers to tune in, it is definitely to soon to give such advice. However, if the show is anything like the original, viewers are in for a bumpy ride.