ASIMO performs on the Hilltop

Advanced robot makes its first Texas stop at SMU
 ASIMO performs on the Hilltop
ASIMO performs on the Hilltop

ASIMO performs on the Hilltop

Honda’s here for a visit, and it didn’t bring itslatest sports car. Instead it brought ASIMO, the”world’s most advanced humanoid robot,”who’s making its first appearance in Texas at SMU as part ofa nationwide university tour.

“For those who love to see the future, you’re in fora great treat,” said Geoffrey Orsak, dean of the School ofEngineering, as he welcomed attendees to the demonstration.

ASIMO visits SMU as part of the 2004 Texas BEST RegionalRobotics Championship, which brings 60 top-placing middle schooland high school teams to compete with the goal of using genetherapy to repair DNA, event organizers say. The championship,which began in 1993, runs through Saturday.

ASIMO, which stands for Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility,stunned the audience of championship participants and SMU communitymembers. The robot demonstrated its agility and life-like qualitiesthrough its ability to walk, climb stairs and even dance.(According to his friends at Honda, he prefers the hula anddisco).

Not enough? ASIMO can also connect wirelessly to the Internet todo tasks such as check the weather.

Stephen Keeney, ASIMO project leader for Honda, said the companyis working to make his skills of “practical use tosociety.”

The unit was initially created with the overall goal of helpingpeople. Designers say ASIMO’s height and size are perfect tohelp around the house and assist those confined to a bed orwheelchair. Coupled with its face recognition and verbal commandtechnology, it’s the ideal helper. ASIMO can flip lightswitches and fetch objects, all without falling over.

Eventually, Honda looks to develop models that can help in othersituations that are normally dangerous for humans such as toxicwaste clean up.

Of course, ASIMO’s development has been a long andintricate process.

“Honda had the desire to create something that had neverbeen created before,” said Keeney, who indicated that Hondastarted the project in 1986. By first working on the development ofa solely two-legged robot, researchers eventually helped ASIMOevolve to what it is today.

During the development, Keeney said, “It takes virtuallyevery kind of science,” encouraging students in the room tostay committed to their studies.

ASIMO continues the visit with four demonstrations today andthree tomorrow in the Umphrey Lee Ballroom. The event is free toattendees, and seating is first-come, first-serve.

ASIMO performs on the Hilltop

ASIMO performs on the Hilltop