Live like a local with new mobile application

A new application is taking on the responsibility of ensuring you have a good time with your friends at a convenient and appealing location customized to your liking.

Roamz allows users to discover new hangouts, restaurants, recreation and more as you ‘roam’ around town.

This free application generates a live stream of your interests by allowing you to connect Roamz to Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare and Instagram.

Connecting to these sites enables Roamz to better customize its aggregation of places that may be of utmost interest to the user.

But that’s not all.

Roamz is in tune with what the locals are doing too. By sifting through your documented interests on these social media websites, Roamz provides places that locals frequent often that are consistent with your interests.

For example, if you indicate that you enjoy hanging out at coffee shops on Facebook or within the application, Roamz will pull up some local coffee shops that locals are satisfied with and enjoy.

If you choose to visit a specific location, Roamz offers you the option of rating it.

Roamz will store this information and based off of your preferences, it will indicate similar or dissimilar suggestions.

“At first I was hesitant to connect Roamz with my other social media, but after trying it out it really helps give you better recommendations for what you’re looking for,” SMU senior Molly Brown said.

Considering the broad interest of a potential user, Roamz has a wide variety of user interests to choose from.

The interests available include college and education, shopping, nightlife, bars and clubs, events and entertainment, travel and lodging, restaurants and food, local services and more.

Each of these interests has the capability of being turned on or off, depending upon your interests.

SMU junior Mike Welch finds the Roamz application helpful, especially in a city like Dallas.

“Dallas seems to have a decent amount of Roamz users which makes finding new interesting places really easy,” he said.

Since this is a newly launched application, major metropolitan cities have more options for interests than cities that have not yet been developed.

However, Roamz says it is working to have the most up-to-date information and to provide the best content for more and more cities across the United States.