Grads to bring upscale bowling to Dallas this fall

Kyle+Noonan+and+Josh+Sepkowitz%2C+who+both+graduated+from+SMU+in+2002%2C+are+opening+the+first+upscale+bowling+alley+in+Dallas.+Bowl+%26+Barrel%2C+which+is+located+in+the+Shops+of+Park+Lane%2C+is+scheduled+to+open+Oct.+1.+
Photo Courtesy of Josh Sepkowitz and Kyle Noonan
Kyle Noonan and Josh Sepkowitz, who both graduated from SMU in 2002, are opening the first upscale bowling alley in Dallas. Bowl & Barrel, which is located in the Shops of Park Lane, is scheduled to open Oct. 1.

Kyle Noonan and Josh Sepkowitz, who both graduated from SMU in 2002, are opening the first upscale bowling alley in Dallas. Bowl & Barrel, which is located in the Shops of Park Lane, is scheduled to open Oct. 1. (Photo Courtesy of Josh Sepkowitz and Kyle Noonan)

They lived in the same dorm freshman year, were roommates the next, members of Fiji and were in each other’s weddings.

But after leaving their respective careers to pursue a multi-million dollar dream of theirs last summer, these two SMU grads say they are more like brothers now than ever.

Josh Sepkowitz and Kyle Noonan are bringing the first “upscale boutique bowling alley” to Dallas this fall.

After signing the lease last week, the two are ready to start construction on the 15,000 square-foot space that will feature 15 lanes and a restaurant.

During the past few years, the two graduates visited bowling alleys in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles and other major cities.

When thinking about their own bowling alley, which is located in the Shops of Park Lane across from NorthPark Center, Noonan and Sepkowitz said they didn’t want to create another “club- like” atmosphere.

While there aren’t any bowling alleys in the city of Dallas, Sepkowitz said Bowl & Barrel will differ from those in Fort Worth and Addison.

“Here you’ll feel like you’re in your living room – really comfortable, really good food and Indie rock and country music.”

Since graduating from SMU in 2002, Noonan has been in the restaurant business and Sepkowitz worked in investment banking.

As Sepkowitz put it, “Kyle has the restaurant and hospitality and I have the finance side. We make the perfect team.”

While the “Bowl” speaks for itself, the “Barrel” is what makes this business unique to Dallas.

A combination of a beer hall and a pub, large communal tables will fill the wood and metal interior.

“We’ll have craft beers and barrel-aged beer that you can pour directly from the cask,” Sepkowitz said. “Of course we’ll also have good wine and cocktails, too.”

And, while one might assume the menu will consist of all bar food, they are mistaken.

“The core of our menu is based on German sausages,” Sepkowitz said adding, “Every aspect of our facility is different than what is in Dallas right now.”

Sepkowitz also said the prices are affordable, comparing them to Studio Movie Grill with drinks ranging from $5 to $6 and food from $10 to $15.

Noonan and Sepkowitz hope Bowl & Barrel will celebrate its grand opening Oct. 1.

After that, it’ll be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to midnight Monday through Thursday and until 2 a.m. on the weekends.

“It’ll be quite a shindig,” Sepkowitz said.