South African play ‘My Children My Africa’ very real

South African play My Children My Africa very real

The play My Children My Africa, starring SMU theater students, debuted Wednesday night in the Margo Jones Theatre. The play, which was first performed in South Africa, is a fictional story about a high school teacher in Africa trying to educate and unite his students during the era of Apartheid.

My Children My Africa, written by Athol Fugard, has spread to many campuses in the United States.

Director of the three-man play, Professor Cecil O’Neal said, “Although the play is fictional, it is based on actual circumstances. It is a very powerful play about a very troublesome time but is also relevant to many issues going on in the world today.”

The show is filled with internal and external struggles, and more so, ideologies of morality.

An African student struggles to excel because of social unrests in his society. The teacher in the play tries to steer his student away from riots and violence while teaching him non-violent means of overcoming oppression.

Theater student Bechir Slyvain acts the part of a black-African student who feels black Africans are being severely oppressed by the leaders of their government.

Sophomore Mikal Evans portrayed a friendly white-African student who does not identify with the problems that Sylvain’s character experiences.

Students in the audience agreed. Sylvain’s and Evans’ lively performances thrilled the crowd.

“This is good, intense acting,” said sophomore business major John Elliott.

The audience was surprised to learn, television and movie actor, Clarence Gilyard was in the play. Gilyard, a current graduate student at SMU, plays the lead role of the middle-aged, compassionate teacher. He has starred in television shows such as “Walker Texas Ranger,” “Matlock” and the movie Top Gun.

In the South African setting, the actors emulated the African-English accents throughout the play.

Students said the accents were so precise, it made the play difficult to follow. They were not sure if students who had not seen the performance would understand what was going on.

Graduate student Sherina Richardson said, “ Although the play lacked action and plot, I was impressed with the SMU performers.

Some students did not expect to see an African play about Apartheid performed at SMU but were intrigued by the issues involved.

First-year Katie Herr said, “I’m not extremely surprised to be watching a play about Apartheid at SMU, but I certainly wasn’t expecting it. It was very interesting.”

O’Neal said, “I hope anyone would be moved by the play. I want them to leave thinking about the issues the play raises.”