Added seats to be given to transfer students

Student Body President Patrick Kobler expressed his desire for adding new seats in Student Senate in the meeting Tuesday evening.

He announced that transfers students will have seats in the senate, which is “something that we have not had for the 96 years we have been here,” he said.

Along with this new group represented, students with disabilities may also hold seats in the future. According to Kobler, 7 percent of SMU has disabilities, and they deserve representation as much as any other group.

Kobler received feedback from these students, hearing that “they were happy that an organization wants to represent their needs.”

By adding these seats, there could be a trigger for more senators, according to Education Senator Jake Torres.

Kobler encourages this, asking “why not have everyone represented?”

According to the president, “If [Senate] just [represents] the school, we might get stale. We really need to look at different possibilities.”

Besides discussing the possibilities of new seats in the Senate, Jessica Lewis of the Hegi Family Career and Development Center spoke to promote the center’s services.

She discussed Mustang Trak, “the SMU Monster,” which helps students connect with job possibilities, and also the upcoming career internship.