First-years campaign for senate positions

The lawn to Dallas Hall is outlined by more than attractive landscaping this week.

First-year senators lined the walkways with fluorescent signs containing catchy phrases to grab the eyes of passersby.

The alliteration of “Win with Walton,” and the pun of “Vote for Prem, he’s proper” not only got attention, but lingered in the mind of potential voters.

Study body Secretary S. Thomas Kincaid, III says he’s happy to see so many first-years interested in Senate.

“We want to see people involved,” Kincaid said.

Campaign participants have doubled since last year from 23 to 46 candidates.

Senate membership chair Lyndsey Hummert believes the increased participation is due to the leadership skills of the first-year class.

“This is an amazing class, and each candidate has done a wonderful job campaigning,” Hummert said.

Events like Mustang Corral, AARO, Week of Welcome and the activities fair acquaint students with the campus early and motivate them to participate.

“The student body officers seemed so dedicated and received me so well that it gave me the motivation to pursue a seat on the Senate,” first-year business major Chase Hassan said.

Hassan says that campaigning is hard work, but he hopes it will pay off.

Hassan spoke at hall council meetings and in front of some of his classes. He says he made it a priority to get his name out there.

“It’s important to me that as many people as possible feel comfortable by giving me their vote,” Hassan said.

Hassan, who participated in student congress in high school feels it is important to get involved on campus as soon as possible.

Candidates realize that there are only 21 seats to fill on Senate, but that doesn’t deter the number who decide to actively run a campaign.

Jennifer Gerard, first-year business major, says that the competition is tough, but no matter who wins, she knows that there’s such a strong caliber of candidates that the first-year class can’t go wrong with any elected senator.

Like many of her competitors, Gerard’s platform consists of contracting for additional parking and planning for a new workout facility other than the Cinco Center.

Additionally, Gerard will pursue having an additional ATM installed in the south quad of campus if elected.

“It’s hard for people who live in the south quad to have to walk all the way to Hughes-Trigg if they need to make a quick trip somewhere and need cash,” Gerard said.

Sept. 10 all candidates attended a required meeting to discuss the election code which governs the election.

Hummert distributed individual copies to each candidates.

One rule includes having all campaign signs removed by midnight the night the results are announced.

In past years, with the excitement in newly elected senators, removing signs becomes a minor detail in the road to fulfilling their platforms.

“Senate is a huge influence on campus, and even if I’m not elected, I will try to join a committee,” Hassan said.

Senate committee members are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year, and positions vary depending on the number of seats available.

Polls opened for first-year voters at 7 a.m. Wednesday and close 7 p.m. Thursday.

First-year voters may vote for five Senate candidates, one president, and fifteen class council candidates.

Voting takes place at www.smu.edu/elections, and results will be electronically tallied and announced after polls close Thursday.