Student pleas answered

The return of Fall Break provides students with much needed time off

For those who aren’t freshmen, remember how it felt at this time last year?

Midterms were wrapping up, exhaustion and fatigue were setting in and students were anxious to get a break. But there was one little problem: There wasn’t a fall break.

Instead, classes continued as normal, homework continued to pour in, and students begged for mercy.

Shake that horrible thought from your head though, because the desperate pleas from students were heard and Fall Break is back.

Last year, Fall Break was merged with Thanksgiving Break, which was handy for students who lived many hours away. It gave them a chance to fly home and stay home for a week, instead of inconveniently flying home twice in little more than a month.

But others were upset that they didn’t get their much-deserved holiday, and 560 students joined the Facebook group “Give us our Fall Break Back!”

Kudos to Student Senate for hearing those cries and petitioning for a change.

Hopefully there will be some noticeable positives this year, and the university will keep the schedule the way it is.

Having the extra couple days to rest and recoup is valuable after a brutal couple of weeks of tests and essays, and students should be more energized and motivated for the second quarter.

For those who did poorly on midterms, those extra two days help ease the pain. For those who did well, the break is a reward for their hard work. After all, if students get a month break after finals, shouldn’t they get a couple days after midterms?

The break also is valuable for teachers, who have Monday and Tuesday to grade tests and plan for the second quarter.

There are a few things to be cautioned, though.

Faculty members complained in past years that Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving Break were poorly attended, because students went home early.

If you want Fall Break again next year, please don’t fly the coop early.

That being said, enjoy your Fall Break, whether you’re staying on campus or going home.