Men’s soccer gets a conference win

SMUs Gabriel Arredondo keeps the ball away from a University of Central Arkansas defender in a 5-1 win Oct. 12 at Westcott Field.
Casey Lee
SMU’s Gabriel Arredondo keeps the ball away from a University of Central Arkansas defender in a 5-1 win Oct. 12 at Westcott Field.

SMU’s Gabriel Arredondo keeps the ball away from a University of Central Arkansas defender in a 5-1 win Oct. 12 at Westcott Field. (Casey Lee)

After failing to win in its first four conference games, the SMU men’s soccer team (8-4-2, 1-3-1) won their first Conference USA game of the season Wednesday against the UAB Blazers (4-8-2, 1-4-0).

Both teams played physical and aggressive soccer that resulted in 42 combined fouls and eight combined yellow cards.

The physical nature of the game kept the Blazers and Mustangs deadlocked at zero and headed for a tie. However, freshman Diogo de Almeida broke the tie with the game winner in the 84th minute.

The goal was scored when freshman Payton Hickey’s corner kick rolled through the defense and left de Almeida with an open shot on goal.

One minute later, de Almeida added his second goal of the game and fifth on the season when he hit a 45 yard shot that dropped in over Blazers’ junior goalkeeper Wes Johnson’s head.

The 2-0 win moves the Mustangs out of last place in the conference and ahead of the Blazers.