Parking enforcement increases around SMU

Graphic Courtesy of University Park
University Park City Council proposed parking permits to homeowners living near the SMU campus.

University Park City Council proposed parking permits to homeowners living near the SMU campus. (Graphic Courtesy of University Park)

New parking ordinances for streets and shopping centers around SMU have gone into effect. On June 1 Park Cities Plaza increased parking enforcement. Those who choose to ignore these new regulations are subject to having their vehicles towed at the owner’s expense.

Emails were sent to all undergraduate, graduate, faculty and staff members on May 25 and May 31 reminding them that parking in the center is for patrons of the shopping center only. Signs are also located on the entrances of Park Cities Plaza.

“As part of Park Cities Plaza tenants lease, as the Landlord, we are expected and required to have available spaces for tenant’s customers at all times,” said SMU Director of Real Estate William Nemeth. “When SMU students, faculty, staff and contractors park in these spaces and then proceed to campus buildings, it takes customer parking away from our tenants.”

In March the University Park City Council approved of an ordinance that established a residential parking district that will require residents living within the district to have a parking permit. This regulation will go into effect Aug. 1.