Mustangs lose another heartbreaker at home

SMUs Rock Dennis (10) pause for a moment after a 44-38 loss to Houston Saturday night at Ford Stadium. The Mustangs lost in the last minute after leading the entire game.
Casey Lee
SMU’s Rock Dennis (10) pause for a moment after a 44-38 loss to Houston Saturday night at Ford Stadium. The Mustangs lost in the last minute after leading the entire game.

SMU’s Rock Dennis (10) pause for a moment after a 44-38 loss to Houston Saturday night at Ford Stadium. The Mustangs lost in the last minute after leading the entire game. (Casey Lee)

The Mustangs were 24 seconds away from their second win of the season, but for the second week in a row they were beaten late.

“Very frustrating,” head coach June Jones said. “You’ve got to find a way to win those games. We’re just trying to find our way.”

SMU has come close the past two weeks but hasn’t been able to finish the game and get the win. Against Tulsa the Mustangs had a 31-24 lead going into the fourth quarter, only to have the Golden Hurricane outscore them 13-0 in the fourth quarter and win the game.

It was the same against Houston. The Mustangs had a 35-23 lead going into the fourth, but were outscored 21-3 and lost.

“We played hard, but when it comes time to win a game, somebody’s got to step up and make a play,” Jones said. “That’s what you’ve got to learn how to do.”

That play could have been when SMU had the ball and the lead in the fourth quarter. On third-and-four with two minutes left in the game, quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell attempted a pass to Terrence Wilkerson that was incomplete and the Mustangs were forced to punt with 1:58 left in the game.

“I thought Bo threw a good pass on that third down,” Jones said. “If we complete that pass, the game’s probably over. But I thought he threw a good ball.”

The Cougars took the ball 85 yards in just 1:34 and took a 44-38 lead. The Mustangs had one final chance, but were unable to get into the end zone.

“It’s tough,” Mitchell said. “It’s just kind of draining. You get up on a team like that, 35-23, and we’ve just got to hold on to the ball and keep putting points on the board, and we should win this game.”

Mitchell completed 29 of 39 pass attempts including four touchdowns, rushed for his first career touchdown but also threw two interceptions and fumbled the ball once.

“I think this week [Mitchell] probably saw more than he’s ever seen in a game so far, he’s just getting better,” Jones said. “He’s starting to play more, starting to see more, and his passes are getting sharper because of that. He’s got, still, a little room to go, but I’m proud of the way he played and fought and competed.”

There were two important numbers Saturday night, neither of which were on the scoreboard.

The main number of the night was 26. Receiver Emmanuel Sanders caught his 25th and 26th touchdown passes, passing Emanuel Tolbert for a new career record at SMU.

“Congratulations to Emmanuel,” Mitchell said. “That’s obviously a spectacular thing. That’s a great guy (Emanuel Tolbert) that he overcame.”

The other number also dealt with Sanders.

SMU retired former All-American and Dallas Cowboy Don Meredith’s jersey during halftime on Saturday.

Meredith led the SMU offense from 1957-59 throwing for over 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns. He wore No. 17 during his time as a Mustang, the same number Sanders wears now.

After two close loses at home the Mustangs will travel to Annapolis, Md. to face Navy next weekend at 2:30 p.m.

Blake McJunkin (63) and Chris Banjo (22) (Lindsey Perkins)