Women drop weekend matches

The women’s soccer team fell to 3-5-0 in Conference USA and 5-10-1 overall after dropping back-to-back losses against the University of Memphis and the University of Alabama Birmingham this past weekend.

Friday night’s 3-0 loss to the defending Conference USA champs, the Memphis Tigers, marked the Mustangs sixth shutout of the season.

The Tigers remain No. 2 in C-USA polls with a 6-2-0 conference record and 10-4-1 season record after capturing a second weekend win over Tulsa. Just two points behind current leader East Carolina University, the Tigers have 18 points on the season. The Mustangs stand tied with Marshall at nine points.

Memphis fired off seven shots in the first half, but the Mustangs backfield comprised of freshman goalkeeper Courtney Webb, and defenders junior Kim Peabody and senior Carly Philips, helped quiet the Tiger’s offensive surge. Webb recorded a personal best of six saves in the first half alone.

The Mustangs struggled to get on board in the first half, failing to get a single shot on goal within the first 45 minutes of play.

Disaster struck just under 20 minutes into the second half when the Tigers posted two goals within 15 seconds of each other to seal their third consecutive win. A trio of freshmen prevailed for the Tigers as Memphis went on a scoring spree in the second half to close out the game.

The first goal came in the 63rd minute when freshmen midfielder Lizzy Hildebrandt connected a long goal from right field, sending the ball just below Webb’s reach into the bottom left corner of the net. The goal, which was Hildebrandt’s second of the season, was quickly succeeded by sophomore midfielder Vendula Strnadova’s fifth goal of the season. The unassisted shot went sailing past Webb from about 20 yards back from the net, putting the Tigers up 2-0, and sealing the win.

The Mustangs fought back, but managed only one shot on goal by freshman Logan May. In her 16th consecutive collegiate start, the shot marked May’s 16th shot on goal of the season, just one less than current leader sophomore forward Lauren Shepherd, tying her for third place on the roster with four points.

The final goal of the night came in the 70th minute when sophomore forward Ashley Berra outran the Mustang’s defense, and blasted a shot from 12 yards back past Webb.

In Sunday’s game against UAB, the Mustang defense struggled against the Blazers, falling in a 2-1 loss.

“You feel for the kids because they did everything to win,” said head coach Brent Erwin. “This was the worst team we played, and we did everything to win.”

The teams battled through a scoreless first half, tying each other with four shots on goal apiece, with each goalkeeper posting two saves.

Senior goalkeeper Ashley Gunter returned to the net for the Mustangs after being replaced by Webb in six if the Mustangs last conference games.

“The rule of thumb is a young player can go four games. [Webb] had changed the season for us just because she’s so good,” said Erwin. “I just thought she was mentally drained so we needed to make a change, and it was a mistake. I should have stuck with [Webb], I was doing it for her benefit to give her a break.”

Sophomore midfielder Kristin Medeiros got her second goal of the season in the 56th minute off a collected pass from Herrman. Herrman, who received a pass from teammate and senior midfielder Katie Leonard hooked Medeiros up with a cross pass from the left side of the field, giving her teammate a clear shot from about 22 yards back.

The Blazers responded with a goal about ten minutes later when freshman midfielder Carolyn Polcari curled a corner kick past Gunter, tying the game at 1-1. Polcari struck again in the 81st minute, collecting the win with another unassisted shot from 16 yards back.

“I have no criticism to the players,” said Erwin. “It was heart wrenching. UAB didn’t create any good chances on goal. Our players played great. “Gunter trained very well. In the end you need a senior goalkeeper to step up and be able to play a match.”

The loss marks the Mustang’s third consecutive loss for the second time this season, and bumps them to the No. 9 spot in conference rankings. The Blazers improved to 4-3-1 and 6-9-1, capitalizing on their third conference win, and putting them at No. 7 in Conference USA.