Go with the Flo

SMU junior jumps into the jewelry industry

While many SMU students are looking to take over the family business post-graduation, SMU junior Flo Hinojosa is launching the family business pre-graduation.

Hinojosa is CEO of her family’s jewelry business, Cristin Floval.

Just one glance at Hinojosa and it’s no surprise she is in the business of style. The 20-year-old’s Bolivian-Argentinian roots translate into her ensemble, a look that can best be described as a latin twist on boho chic. Her off the shoulder white blouse and leather handbag perfectly compliment her wrists, both of which are completely covered in stone and sterling silver beaded bracelets.

The distinctive bracelets stacked on her wrists are Cristin Floval, the Miami based line handmade by Hinojosa, her mother Cecilia and her sister, Valeria.

The mother-daughter trio started Cristin Floval on a whim in an effort to save money while shopping.

“We saw all of this jewelry and my mom was like, I can make that for ya’ll cheaper,” Hinojosa said.

The baubles made a statement and quickly had people talking, evolving the threesome’s economical do-it-yourself project into a full-time endeavor.

The current collection entitled “Life is…” features pieces embellished with meaningful symbols to the family.

“We started using a lot of religions that had some how been exposed to our lives – Judaism, Budhhism, Christianity and Hinduism,” Hinojosa explained.

The most popular bracelet is the large sterling silver cross, but other designs include evil eyes, Buddhas and butterflies.

“The colors of the stones and the beads all have different energies,” said Hinojosa. “People buy for the energy of the bracelets.”

Although Cristin Floval is a beloved part of the trio’s life, Hinojosa says she doesn’t want to make it a full-time job until she is completely done with school.

“I feel like right now we are at a good point, it’s not a ‘hobby,’ but at the same time it’s not big yet” said Hinojosa.

Select pieces of the Cristin Floval “Life is…” collection can be purchased at the Exhale Spa at the Palomar Hotel. You can shop online and view the entire collection at CristinFloval.com.