Goin’ for two

Mustangs seek first 2-0 start since 1996
Shawnbrey McNeal runs on his way to getting 158 rushing yards during the Mustangs’ defeat of the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks last Saturday at Ford Stadium. CASEY LEE/The Daily Campus

After winning their home opener with fourth quarter heroics, the SMU football team (1-0, 0-0) will travel to Birmingham, Ala. to square off against the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers (1-0, 1-0). 

This conference matchup, the first of the season, is one of three straight road games for the Mustangs.

While the Mustangs did not play UAB last season, SMU did come away with an at-home, 22-9 win back in 2006.

The Mustangs are coming off their first win in nearly a year after defeating the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks, 31-23 last Saturday at Ford Stadium.

SMU senior safety Rock Dennis was named C-USA Defensive Player of the Week after intercepting two passes against the Lumberjacks.  His interceptions were a part of a defensive effort that forced six turnovers.

While last week’s win broke the Mustangs ten-game losing streak, the SMU football team has a larger streak to break. The Mustangs have not won a Conference USA game since Nov. 18, 2006 when they defeated Tulsa by a score of 34-24 in Dallas.

The Mustangs defense will be put to the test this week, as they try to defend against the Blazers junior quarterback, Joe Webb.  Last week against Rice, the dual-threat quarterback racked up 221 yards passing and 194 yards rushing.

In comparison, SMU sophomore quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell totaled 202 passing yards, but finished the game at -7 rushing yards.

In SMU’s win over SFA, the Mustangs averaged 5.7 rushing yards per carry and 1.95 yards per pass. UAB, coming off a win over Rice, averaged 7.6 yards per carry and 18.4 yards per throw.

SMU head coach June Jones believes that the Blazers were a good way to prepare for facing a conference opponent. After playing SFA, Jones said, “That football team [SFA] has some good skill talented players. They are probably equivalent skill wise to some of the teams we are going to play in our conference.”

The largest difference that SMU will have to cope with against UAB is the larger size of the lineman and linebackers. Jones explained how, “up front, our conference is sturdier. We are going to have to play better [than last Saturday] to win.”

Projected to start for the Mustangs this weekend on offense is Mitchell, Emmanuel Sanders, Aldrick Robinson Kelvin Beachum, Josh LeRibeus, Mitch Enright, Bryce Tennison, Bryan Collins, Patrick Fleming, Terrence Wilkerson and Zach Line.

Starting on defense will be Bryan McCann, Sterling Moore, Youri Yenga, Chase Kennemer, Cameron Rogers, Pete Fleps, Marquis Frazier, Chris Parham and Taylor Thompson.

The play of junior running back Shawnbrey McNeal should figure largely into the Mustang’s chances for victory. The ability to run the ball has a beneficial impact on the passing game.

Blazers’ head coach Neil Callaway explained how “a good running game doesn’t just affect the secondary, it affects everyone. SMU is a throw-first football team. But then when you throw a good running game in there it really complicates things.”

While the Mustangs’ offense will not stray from passing, the respect for McNeal and the rushing attack may take some pressure off of Mitchell.

The game at Legion Stadium kicks off at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

Following a three-week long absence from Ford Stadium, the Mustangs will return home to host the East Carolina Pirates.