SMU tees off this Sunday

Early next week, SMU’s women’s golf team will travel to Primm, Nev. to participate in the Golfweek Conference Challenge to begin their fall season. Eighteen teams representing 18 conferences will gather to compete Sept. 13-15.

The Mustang women’s golf team is composed of nine golfers. There are two freshman additions to the team: Felicia Espericueta and Tanya Wadhwa. The team has also added a new assistant coach, Emily Milberger, this season. Milberger joins SMU after coaching at Oklahoma University for three years.

Over the summer the SMU team has received several national honors. Kate Ackerson was named a Scholar Athlete of the Year presented by the Conference USA Board of Directors. Ackerson was also chosen for the 2009 C-USA Women’s Golf All-Academic Team. On Aug. 7, junior Alexis Bennett won the Rockford Women’s Golf Classic.

Once it is built, the SMU golf program will be able to take advantage of the new SMU Payne Stewart Golf Learning Center at the Dallas Athletic Club. According to Smumustangs.com, the center will include state-of-the-art video-swing analysis, conference meeting rooms, men’s and women’s locker rooms and many more amenities

The Mustangs are sure to be in full swing this year with their new facilities, members and coaches.