Frustrating season has signs of hope

Don’t give up on SMU football just yet

New coach, new uniforms, new quarterback but the same results after eight games. The Mustangs are 1-7 again and will not be going to a bowl game.

No, this is not what people were hoping for when June Cometh, but it is where the team is now. And after a rough start to the season the Mustangs appear to be turning things around, it just isn’t showing in their record.

Yes, June Jones turned the University of Hawaii around in just one season, but those were different circumstances. Two of the offensive linemen from that team were drafted into the NFL.

Even if you don’t agree with some of the things he has done this year, you have to admit that Jones knows what he’s doing. He only had two losing seasons out of nine at Hawaii, is a two-time coach of the year as well as a two time Western Athletic Conference Coach of the Year.

One decision Jones made was selecting true freshman Bo Levi Mitchell to be his quarterback, and because of that there have been some growing pains. Mitchell is learning to play college football and Jones’ pass heavy offense all in the same year.

He has already thrown for over 2,000 yards and 21 touchdowns. But with that has come 18 interceptions and he has been sacked 21 times.

The Mustangs have the No. 71 total offense and No. 118 total defense in the country out of 119 teams. SMU’s opponents average 501.6 yards a game while the Mustangs average only 352.6 yards of their own. The Mustangs have also been outscored 329-201 through eight games.

But before you blame the defense, the Mustangs rank 115th in turnovers lost with 23, averaging nearly three turnovers a game. Turnovers lead to points no matter how good a team’s defense.

But with maturity the turnovers will go down.

With time the wins will come.

With wins the bowl game will happen.

So while this season will not result in a bowl game, don’t stop supporting the Mustangs. Sure the last two games were disappointments if you stayed all the way to the end, but when was the last time you stayed to the end of a game SMU had a chance of winning?

Everyone is disappointed with a 1-7 record for the second straight season. Maybe expectations were too high, or maybe the team underperformed early, but they’re getting better and showing improvement on the field.

So come out for Homecoming and for the season finale in November, and remember to stay for the whole game. SMU may have lost these past two in the fourth quarter, but they could win the next two in the fourth quarter.