Mustangs break even in weekend series

The men’s soccer team split a pair of road games this weekend, dropping a loss to Brown University, but picked up a 3-2 win over Yale.

The Mustangs (1-2-0) fell to the Brown University Bears (1-0-1) on Friday evening after a 90-minute rain delay, dropping their first game on the road.

Both teams had to slog through rainy conditions and a wet playing field even after play resumed. The Bears scored their only goal off of a penalty kick in the 33rd minute.

Mustang goalkeeper, Craig Hill, who has not been scored on during play this season, made four saves in Friday night’s shutout over the Mustangs.

Hill continues to remain perfect in the net, as both points from opposing teams have been scored off penalty kicks.

The Mustangs had 12 unsuccessful shots on goal, but managed to earn one more corner kick than Brown.

Despite the loss of the Brown game, the Mustangs found success on Sunday against the Yale University Bulldogs.

Senior Dane Saintus scored two goals during the match, making it his first multi-goal game in his career. Saintus’ first goal came from a double assist from teammate Payton Hickey and Paulo da Silva.

The second came with an assist from Hickey when Saintus headed the ball in the 64th minute for the 2-0 lead.

Joe Cooper scored SMU’s winning goal just 11 seconds after Yale scored the tying goal with an assist from Saintus. The goal marked Cooper’s first score of the season and the second of his career.

“It was tough game conditions, and Yale is a very good team, very organized, and they played great defensively,” head coach Tim McClements said in a press release on smumustangs.com. “The field was really heavy and wet, and we got worn out. We felt like we did everything we could to win.”

Saintus, Payton and da Silva all received All-Tournament Team honors for their efforts in Providence.

The Mustangs will host the SMU Invitational this weekend beginning on Sept.18.

SMU will play Bradley on Friday night at 7:30 at Westcott Field, followed by CSU-Northridge on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.