Presti, Espericuta lead SMU effort in “Golfweek” Conference Challenge

After wrapping up the first two days of the three-day Golfweek Conference Challenge, SMU stands in 16th place, shooting a 33-over 321 in day one at the Desert Course at rim Valley Casino Resorts in Nev.

SMU took five of the team’s nine athletes to the event.

After the first 18 holes wrapped up on Sunday, SMU was just 11 shots out of making the top-10 in the 18-team tournament.  Following round one, freshman Tanya Wadhwa led SMU with a 5-over-77 score, tying for 34th with Cathrine Madsen from Georgia State.

Day one’s results showed an average score of 78.17 after 89 rounds. Day two produced a 78.15 average after 13 compete rounds.

Following day two of the tournament, SMU fell to the No.16 spot, shooting  28 over par on Monday.

Chattanooga led on Monday, shooting just eight over the par throughout the whole tournament.

Teammate sophomore Kalie Presti  after finishing the first day in the No.48 spot, rose to No.41 spot, shooting 12 over par after two days.

Caught in a six-way tie for the No.57 spot, freshman Felicia Espericueta improved from the No.79 spot after shooting just four over par on Monday.

Junior Tia Gannon sits at the No. 68 spot, five spots up from her previous ranking, shooting seven over par on Monday.

Wadhwa slipped to the No.76 spot.

The fifth athlete, sophomore Jennifer Hooper, remains in a second-place tie at the No.86 spot.

The final round of 18 begins today at 8 a.m.