Drills prepare students

In keeping with emergency preparedness month, SMU dedicated this past week to “Shelter Awareness Week,” hoping to teach students what to do in the case of severe weather or an outdoor chemical spill.

The shelter exercise was conducted in all dorms on campus, enabling students to get “real world” experience without the hazard.

“Exactly one year ago last week, there was a tornado within two miles of the SMU campus,” Lee Arning, director of emergency preparedness and business continuity, told Boaz residents. “It looked as pretty outside as it did yesterday [Tuesday] afternoon at this time and there was a tornado that close.”

First year and Boaz resident Michelle Marriott has never experienced a tornado or a drill like this one, however, she believes she would know what to do in the case of an emergency.

“I think I’d be prepared,” Marriott said. ” I feel like it’s kind of common sense though.”

Residents of Boaz, Smith and Perkins participated in the drills on Wednesday, while other halls had drills earlier in the week and Thursday.

“We want you to get to the interior hallways away from as many glass windows and doors as humanly possible, and you want to stay there until you know the threat has passed,” Arning said.

The SMU preparedness staff advises students to seek shelter if they hear tornado sirens on campus. Additional instructions include going into a basement or lowest level of the building students are closest to, away from windows. It is also important to listen to local media and to wait for officials to give you the “all clear.”

Chris Scott, a sophomore resident assistant in Boaz, believes the emergency drills are beneficial to students.

“I think it’s good to get students aware of possible things that can happen,” he said. “To be aware and understand what to do, like he [Arning] said, can save people’s lives.”

Although these drills help students get an idea of what to expect in the case of an emergency, Arning assures students Texas’ weather has a mind of its own.

“In Texas, you’ll get through with it and go, ‘OK. That wave is gone,’ and 20 minutes later, you may need to be right back down here,” he said. “Just do it.”

As an RA, Scott feels adequately prepared if a dangerous storm or chemical spill were to occur.

“We were well trained and made-well versed on some of the things that we need to be aware of and this was definitely one of them,” he said. “Although we were made aware this was happening, I think we could have handled it if it was not a drill.”