SMU splits weekend games

The SMU women’s soccer team (2-5-0) split a pair of contests over the weekend, using a balanced offensive attack to beat The University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners on Friday before falling to the No. 2 Portland Pilots Sunday afternoon.

Against the Roadrunners (3-6-0), sophomore forward Logan May accounted for the only first-half scoring with her second goal of the season, putting the Mustangs ahead, 1-0.

Junior midfielder Leslie Briggs, a transfer from the University of North Carolina, added her third goal of the year in the 62nd minute to put SMU up by two.

After UTSA’s Kate Dugan responded with a strike of her own just 45 seconds later, freshman forward Kenzie Scovill scored the game-winner in the 65th minute.

Briggs and Scovill are tied for the team lead in goals (3) and points (6).

Freshman forward Shelby Hartweck added her first career goal en route to a 4-2 win for the Mustangs.

Portland (8-1-0) bounced back from a 3-1 loss to No. 13 Texas A&M to shut out SMU, 6-0, at Westcott Field.

For the Pilots, junior Kendra Chandhoke and senior Michelle Enyeart each scored twice, while goalkeeper Hailee DeYoung had a spotless performance with eight saves.

The Mustangs open Conference USA play this weekend with a brief two-match road trip.

SMU will take on the Colorado College Tigers (4-3-1) Sept. 25 in Colorado Springs before traveling to El Paso for a match-up with the Miners (6-2-0) on Sept. 27.

The team will return to Westcott Field for its C-USA home opener against the Rice Owls (2-4-2) Oct. 2.