SMU car thieves arrested

SMU Police arrested two car burglars after one of the men led police on a short car chase last Friday.

Oscar Ayala, 20, and Victor Rosales, 17, of Dallas were caught breaking into a Chevrolet pickup on security cameras at about 11:34 a.m. at the Contractor’s Lot on SMU Boulevard. Within minutes, SMU police had Ayala surrounded. He was ordered to the ground and placed under arrest.

Rosales, the driver, drove off without his partner once he spotted the police. The suspect vehicle was pursued by officers who were traveling south on Dublin Street. Once the vehicle turned into the University Gardens Apartments, Rosales exited the vehicle and fled on foot. University Park Police and Highland Park Police assisted in cornering Rosales at the 3000 block of Potomac. Ayala and Rosales were transported to University Park Jail for booking.

“Everyone needs to realize that burglary motor vehicles are all over the country,” said Police Chief Mike Snellgrove. “People can’t avoid having their cars burglarized. But it can be reduced by taking some simple measures.”

Chief Snellgrove advises hiding any expensive property, such as purses, golf clubs, and laptops, in the trunk.

“Thieves look in car and see what’s there. It’s like shopping,” said Chief Snellgrove.

Chief Snellgrove said that many people ask him what the best course of action to take when they are faced with criminals. “There is no such thing as the best thing. To me, you do what you feel you are capable of doing and realizing what the risks are.”

He does, however, advise that people stay vigilante and let the police do their job “If you are walking in a parking lot, and you see someone who’s acting suspiciously, don’t hesitate to call the police,” said Chief Snellgrove. “It’s our job to go out there and check these people out.”

He urges that people don’t be too shy to ask for help, because the police officers will not harass anyone but simply approach someone, introduce themselves, and ask for identification. “That’s the time to catch them- before they commit the crime,” said Snellgrove.

Although there are no areas on campus more dangerous than others, police say that they have found that gates and the camera system have been successful in preventing vehicle burglaries. “Before we put gates on moody garage which was the first gating garage, we would have, on average, ten burglaries a year,” said Chief Snellgrove. “Since we put the gates, we haven’t had any.”

SMU Police says that crime can’t be prevented, but certain actions from the victims will help keep SMU a safer place.

“Practice good common sense crime prevention habits,” said Chief Snellgrove. “And it will certainly reduce your chances of having this kind of crime.”