September is…

Saphires, Morning Glories and National everything month

So it’s the first of the month. There are so many things to remember to do, like paying your rent and utility bills.

Also, since it’s the first of the month, Ed Board would like to take some time and inform you of what September is.

September is National Preparedness Month, National Menopause Awareness Month and National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month.

September’s birthstone is the sapphire. Hear that guys? Does your girlfriend have a birthday this month? Get her some big blues.

And some Morning Glories, which are September’s flower.

But back to these national months, what are they, who dreams up this stuff?

For the most part, departments of the executive branch.

The Department of Homeland Security created National Preparedness Month. They encourage you to “Get a kit, make a plan, be informed.”

An anti-terrorism kit, perhaps? More like a “just in case the nation goes to hell in a handbasket” kit, but we’ll save that for another time.

The FDA’s Office of Women’s Health started National Menopause Awareness Month to “raise awareness about the resources available to address questions related to the benefits and risks of hormone therapy for menopausal symptoms.”

National Addiction Recovery Month is “an initiative of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Center for Substance Abuse Treatment.”

There are also many non-government sponsored “months,” such as National Food Safety Education Month, National Coupon Month (watch them start building up in your mailbox), National Chicken Month, National Sewing Month, National Pain Awareness Month, National Library Card Sign-Up Month and scores of others.

So what’s the purpose of making a “month”? We believe the original purpose was to highlight a problem and give it special attention, but it also appears to be a successful marketing tool.

And at some point, all these private “months” end up obscuring and trivializing the federally sponsored ones, and everyone just ignores them.

Which brings us to our final question. How many of you would know about these months if you hadn’t just read about them? Tell us at [email protected].

We’d also like to hear your suggestions about months that you’d like to see created. There may even be a prize involved.

Now go home and tape your windows and make a kit.