Tulane football relocates to SMU

Hurricane Katrina is forcing Tulane University’s football team to relocate to the SMU campus.

Earlier this afternoon, an agreement was worked out between the two schools’ athletic departments that will allow the Tulane Green Wave to utilize various facilities on the Hilltop.

Officials are currently working out a practice schedule that will allow the Mustangs to continue preparation for this Saturday’s game against Baylor while also letting Tulane players stay in shape for their season.

According to SMU’s Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations Brad Sutton, the team will be busing from Jackson State University and arrive in Dallas around 5 a.m. Wednesday.

The team will possibly be staying at the Dallas Doubletree Hotel or other hotels closer to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Members of the Tulane training staff, coaches and athletic department officials are traveling with the football team, according to Tulane Media Relations Director Donna Turner.

She said the players would only be utilizing practice facilities and would not be taking any classes while at SMU.

So far, Conference USA has only postponed Tulane’s opener against Southern Mississippi, which was scheduled for this Saturday. Tulane has a bye week for Sept. 10.

Turner said that no decisions have been made on the rest of the schedule.

Officials with the university have stated that classes will not begin at Tulane until Sept. 7 at the earliest.