Join something

Getting involved on campus improves mood, conditions

Many organizations are having their first big event of the semester today. Ed Board encourages every SMU student to attend at least one event, perhaps several.

The Multicultural Greek Council will be in the Hughes-Trigg commons from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Best Buddies would like you to make a difference in the life of a person with intellectual disabilities. They’re going to be in Hughe-Trigg promenade AB at 5 p.m.

The College Republicans are also holding their first meeting at 5 p.m. Students will have the opportunity to learn from Jim McGee, who has worked on numerous campaigns from Barry Goldwater to President Bush. They will be meeting in the Tower Center Board Room.

The SMU Toastmasters are throwing a party, with door prizes and gift cards at 6:30 p.m. That’ll be in Cox’s Ernst & Young Gallery.

The Panhellenic sororities are having a reception in the Hughes-Trigg Varsity at 7 p.m. The reception is for upperclassmen interested in joining a Greek sorority.

There are certainly other events taking place this week. We’ll do our best to keep you informed, but not every organization tells us about their events, so keep your eyes peeled.

Almost every department has a club or organization affiliated with it, and they host events, often with free pizza.

Free food isn’t the only reason to attend an event though. Getting involved in a student organization increases one’s ties to the university, which should make you more interested in it, and subsequently, your education.

Which is all well and good, but the best part about these groups is that they contain people that are interested in the same thing you are. This provides opportunities for friendships and dare we say, dating?

Perhaps you’ve been here a few years and think you’ve seen all the groups there are, and none of them appeal to you? Then start your own.

The first thing you should do however, is stop by the SAC (Student Activities Center, 300 Hughes-Trigg), and research existing student organizations. There are approximately 160 already, and you might be able to resuscitate one of these, rather than start from scratch.

You might even find lists of people interested in joining you in your endeavors.