Women’s soccer splits weekend series with ‘Horns, Raiders

The women’s soccer team opened the 2005 season Friday in Austin, suffering a 1-0 loss to the University of Texas Longhorns. The loss against UT was a first in SMU women’s soccer history, and it also ended a 10-game season-opener winning streak.

Longhorns’ sophomore Kelsey Carpenter scored the lone goal of the game late in the first half. Carpenter received two yellow cards, which resulted in an automatic red card and was ejected from the game at the 61-minute mark.

Carpenter’s departure gave SMU a one-player advantage, but the Mustangs failed to recover in the remainder of the game. The loss gave the team an 0-1 record to start the season.

The Mustangs bounced back from Friday’s loss to the Longhorns and posted a 3-1 win over Texas Tech University Sunday afternoon in Lubbock.

SMU freshman midfielder Carley Phillips recorded her first collegiate goal and the first goal of the game at the 48:28-minute mark off an assist by junior defender Ashley Watson. Phillips connected on a header, which sailed just over the arms of Tech goalie Megan Knauss.

Less than three minutes later, sophomore forward Krystal Bailey scored on a breakaway goal and extended SMU’s lead to 2-0.

Tech senior Kimmie Davis scored the only Red Raiders’ goal and cut the SMU advantage to 2-1 at the 79-minute mark.

Freshman Mustang midfielder Kirsten Moran scored the final goal of the game off an assist by fellow freshman Gillian Field at the 82:18-minute mark, insuring the victory over Texas Tech.

SMU freshmen goalkeeper Ashley Gunter made her collegiate debut against the Longhorns and recorded her first win against Texas Tech, allowing only one goal while racking up four saves.

The team has three games scheduled for the upcoming week. Wednesday evening, the Mustangs will take on the Oral Roberts University Golden Eagles in Tulsa, Okla., at 6 p.m. The women will then open their home schedule by hosting the cross-town rival Texas Christian University Horned Frogs at Westcott Field Friday at 7 p.m. On Sunday, SMU will host the University of North Texas Lady Eagles at 1 p.m.