Women’s soccer advances

Womens soccer coach John Cossaboon is leaving for Gonzaga on January 2.
Women’s soccer coach John Cossaboon is leaving for Gonzaga on January 2.

The SMU women defeated the Tulsa Golden Hurricane for the second time this season Wednesday afternoon at Westcott. This time it was in the first round of the Conference-USA Tournament.

The women brought more than just their regular season conference title into the game, but also some individual accolades.

Senior Olivia O’Rear was named the C-USA Offensive Player of the Year scoring 12 goals and picking up four assists, while sophomore goalkeeper Ashley Gunter took home the C-USA Defensive Player of the Year allowing only 15 goals in 20 games and posting 10 shutouts.

In his fourth season as SMU’s head coach John Cossaboon was named the C-USA Coach of the Year leading the Mustangs to a 15-3-1 record, and an 8-1 conference record giving SMU its second regular season C-USA title.

O’Rear and Gunter were also named to the All Conference-USA First Team along with defender Carley Phillips. Kimber Bailey and Susanne Collins were named to the Second Team All C-USA team, and Kim Peabody made the conference All-Freshman Team.

Along with the accolades and the No. 1 seed the Mustangs are the team to beat this tournament.

Up first was the Golden Hurricane. The Mustangs faced off against Tulsa early in October in Oklahoma and defeated the Golden Hurricane 1-0.

The second time around would have the same result as the first, a closely played match that ended with a one-goal victory for the Mustangs.

Due to injures of Olivia O’Rear and Morgan Field, the Mustangs looked to other players to step up.

SMU got that in the form of Kimber and Krystal Bailey, who were the second and third leading point scorers for the Mustangs this season.

The first half of the game saw only six shots and just two on goal, both of which were taken by Tulsa.

It was in the 52nd minute of the match Kimber Bailey received a pass from Krystal Bailey at the top of the box and put it past Tulsa goalkeeper Meredith Hart.

The 1-0 victory moves the Mustangs onto the semi-finals of the tournament. There they will play Colorado College who defeated UTEP 2-1 in double overtime.

The Mustangs defeated the Tigers 4-2 on Oct. 1.

The Tigers and Mustangs will play at 5 p.m. on Friday at Westcott.

SMU’s Ashley Watson (right) and Tulsa’s Katie Ward (left) try to settle a ball at Westcott.