Sophomores honored

The Mortar Board honor society recognized the “Top Ten Sophomores” on SMU’s campus last night at a reception held at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house.

According to junior Daniel O’Neil, the Top Ten Sophomores selection committee chair, recipients are selected based on grades, leadership, and “major community involvement.”

“We pretty rigorously go through the sophomore class,” he said.

First the selection committee gets a list of students eligible for the award from the student office. He said that this year there were about 200 eligible students who applied, and of those 200, 10 were selected.

O’Neil said the factors for eligibility were part of a secretive selection process, but that academics, leadership and community service were priorities. He added that professor recommendations were required for consideration.

O’Neil said being selected as one of the top ten is recognized as an honor with the national Mortar Board.

After an introduction by President Katherine Cooper, inductees, their families and professors listened to an address by SMU’s Dr. Glenn Linden.

Linden, who has been teaching at SMU since 1968, gave the students advice on several topics.

Before anything, he said, students should figure out what their passions are.

A self-described late bloomer, Linden said that, “SMU is a place … where there are no limits. If you choose to do something on this campus, you can do it.”

He also said students should focus on giving back to the community.

“You’ve got to be a citizen of this campus,” he said, adding that “You’ve got the grades – what are you going to do next?”

Linden also talked about his experiences in Madrid and Japan, saying it was “an experience beyond anything” and encouraging students to study abroad.

“Madrid … [was] the semester that changed my life. Everything looked different,” he said.

Linden urged the students to get creative.