Five Spooky Halloween Flicks to Watch

Rachel played by Naomi Watts in a scene from ‘The Ring.’
Courtesy of Dreamworks

Rachel played by Naomi Watts in a scene from ‘The Ring.’ (Courtesy of Dreamworks)

Masked goblins are out, witches are casting their spells, and the dead are coming to life. Halloween is here and is screaming its way into the night. Trick-or-treating is in full force, but this ghoulish holiday is not for everyone.

Dressing up and parading around for candy or going to parties is not on everyone’s agenda. If staying home and eating candy is at the top of your list then enjoy Halloween with some classic horror flicks.

Spend the night curled up waiting in anticipation for Freddy or Leatherface to come knocking with these Halloween favorites.

The Ring (2002)

This modern Hollywood horror is not to be underestimated. Yes, the classics are great and provide plenty of screams and gore to go around, but newer movies are just as good. A videotape, an eerie phone call and seven days are all you get for the characters who watch the disturbing footage. This horror movie is a twisted mystery that has suspense around every corner and the end may even surprise you. This movie will have watchers jumping to the ringing of a phone days after.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

With so many remakes, sequels, and even prequels it is wise to stick to the original 1974 version. This slasher classic has a cult following that extends into all generations. The unnerving film may be based on actual events, but that is still up for debate. Good ol’ Texas is the setting for the bloodbath that is to take place for a group of young adults. Scream-filled and at times unpleasant scenes will leave viewers wanting more.

Halloween (1978)

Sticking to the classics can never go wrong. Both violent and scary movies will have watchers locking their doors, but that won’t stop Michael Myers. When watching any of the Halloween movies either recent or old one thing is certain: the characters who are living up their youth will be the first to go. The suspense-filled movie that created a unique genre is about an escaped, emotionless mental patient that returns back home to finish what he started in 1963. The movie is a race against time to help keep Judith Myers, played by “Scream Queen” Jamie Lee Curtis, and her two friends alive. While watching the movie figure out the solution to avoiding the wrath of Myers: it’s easy.

Poltergeist (1982)

Steven Spielberg wrote and produced this chilling, yet great haunted house story. A typical suburban house becomes the target of a ghostly invasion. Physical evidence amounts when chairs stack on tables and a lamp floats across the room. Who would have thought a house would be built on top of an Indian burial ground. Some say the movie is loosely based off the Hermann family poltergeist haunting on Long Island, but whether or not that is true, this movie deserves a looking into.

The Exorcist (1973)

This is one of the all-time classics that everyone should see if they are looking for a good scare. The infamous battle between good and evil continues as all hell breaks loose. Twelve-year-old Regan becomes possessed by Satan himself and unleashes waves of evil that will have viewers hiding under the covers. Profanity, green vomit, and 360 degree head turns make this a Halloween must, but be prepared to sleep with the lights on.

Don’t stop with the handful of movies listed. There are plenty of more movies that will have sleeping with the lights on. Psycho, Silence of the Lambs and The Shining are a few more that will have you grabbing for the person next to you.

Spending Halloween without a costume can still be fun and even make for a scarier night that expected. Just remember to have a change of pants after watching some of these films.