Mustangs sweep Dustdevils away to even season record

Paul McCoy (23) dribbles around Houston Baptist defender on Nov. 21. McCoy led the Mustangs with 15 points on Friday as SMU beat Texas A&M International 92-52 at Moody Coliseum.
Lindsey Perkins

Paul McCoy (23) dribbles around Houston Baptist defender on Nov. 21. McCoy led the Mustangs with 15 points on Friday as SMU beat Texas A&M International 92-52 at Moody Coliseum. (Lindsey Perkins)

The SMU men’s basketball team ended a two-game losing streak Friday night by blowing away Texas A&M-International 92-52 at Moody Coliseum.

The Mustangs (3-3) receive a 10-day break for final exams before returning to action Dec. 15 against the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Moody Coliseum.

Senior Bamba Fall scored a season-high 14 points, and Paul McCoy led the team with 15 points for the Mustangs, who had six players finish in double figures.

Fall hit 5-of-8 shots from the field and 4-of-6 free throws. He averages 8.5 points and six rebounds.

Sophomores Papa Dia and Alex Malone notched 10 points apiece on a combined 10-of-18 field goal attempts. Derek Williams and Justin Haynes each had 11 points.

SMU jumped to a 39-25 halftime lead and extended its lead with 53 second-half points. It was the first time the Mustangs had scored more than 50 points in a half this season.

They shot a season-best 60.7 percent from the field and forced the Dustdevils to shoot a measly 31.6 percent. McCoy and Haynes nailed six combined 3-pointers.