Club holds Day of the Dead Celebration

The Anthropology Club held its fifth annual El Dia de los Muertos celebration in the Heroy Hall Seminar Room yesterday.

El Dia de los Muertos (translated directly as The Day of the Dead) is celebrated November 1 or 2 mainly in Mexico and among the Mexican community living in the U.S.

It takes the morbid subject of death and puts a joyful spin on it by celebrating and honoring the lives of the deceased and celebrating the continuation of life.

The celebration included Mexican-themed decorations, Hispanic music, a buffet of Latino foods and a ritual shrine decorated with a myriad of candles, skulls (the symbol of the holiday), masks, ornamental skeletons and pictures of deceased relatives of the attendees.

“I’m not an overly religious fellow, but even I get enjoyment out of such an occasion,” archaeology graduate student Damien Marken said.

Another shining aspect of the event, as senior Emily George simply put it, “is the food!”

Many people brought their own dishes to add to the festivities. The foods varied from authentic chicken tamales and fajitas with black beans and Spanish rice, to queso and guacamole.

For dessert, many people were treated to an assortment of pan dulces and fresh, Mexican hot chocolate, made with cinnamon, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate.

“I just love parties celebrating other cultures,” sophomore Sasha Lamadrid said. It’s like a learning experience, but fun.”