Fireside Pies takes pizza upscale

Nestled next to Cuba Libre on 2820 N. Henderson Ave., Fireside Pies serves up the perfect combination of a great menu and a fun atmosphere. Whether one chooses to sit in the booths or by the bar inside, the place has a welcoming feel. Those in search of a cozier environment can sit outside on the year round patio near the restaurant’s namesake flames.

Despite what its name may suggest, this is not an ordinary pizza place. Fireside offers a wide variety of starters, ranging from Alaskan snow crab claws to garlic cheese toast. Although it barely qualifies as a salad (due to limited amounts of lettuce and excessive amounts of cheese), the Fireside cheese salad is one of the most delicious items on the menu. This is no easy feat because dishes include ingredients of only the highest quality ranging from cheese hand-made in Dallas or Prosciutto imported from Italy.

This emphasis on fine ingredients sets Fireside apart from other pizza places. For example, Fireside’s take on pepperoni pizza, the “Triple ‘Roni” pie, features truffle oil and hand-torn basil. The “Peta Pie” scores with vegetarian fans who enjoy goat cheese, Portabella mushrooms, Pinon nuts, arugala and roasted red peppers. To finish the meal with a bang, chocolate fans should not miss the “gooey triple chocolate brownie,” marked by cherry sauce and a soft center.

The only downside in sight to this tasty eatery is its popularity, made apparent by its ever-present wait and refusal to accept reservations in advance. Though this presents a perfect opportunity to wait by the bar and watch what goes on in the kitchen Patrons over 21 years-old will not be disappointed by the restaurant’s beverage menu which includes standard beer and wine along with creative cocktails, such as fruity sangrias and margaritas. The restaurant also offers house infused pineapple shots.

Fireside Pies is open from 5 p.m. to midnight at the N Henderson location and until 11p.m. at the Grapevine location. Service is always pleasant and prompt. Go late to avoid the crowd; this is one eating experience that cannot be missed.