Students gather to witness history

Hughes-Trigg Student Center draws large crowds
students attend the Hughes-Trigg inauguration watch party to watch the swearing in of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States.
Stuart Palley

students attend the Hughes-Trigg inauguration watch party to watch the swearing in of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States. (Stuart Palley)

The Hughes-Trigg Student Center was filled with cheers of joy as President Barack Obama finished his Oath of Office with the traditional “so help me God,” Tuesday afternoon.

Tears streaming down student and faculty faces quickly turned into hugs as many realized the historic significance they had just witnessed at the student watch party sponsored by the student center.

There was a somber mood in the Hughes-Trigg Commons when a stoic and confident Obama made his way onto the Inauguration stage. Onlookers sucked the air out of the room as all eyes were glued on the TVs that were provided for the watch party during the brief oath-taking ceremony.

After the ceremony was complete, it was clear that Obama had broken any remaining color barriers that remained a day after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday. Sophomore Linwood Fields recognized the significance.

“I think it was so ironic for this to happen the way it did. Just one day after King’s birthday. It is a stepping-stone toward [King’s] dream,” Linwood said. “It is one giant step to something greater for those that aspire to be in a position like Barack Obama.”

Ke’ana Bradley, the coordinator of African American student services, organized the watch party. She said she wanted to provide a place for students to go who wanted to witness the historic event; one that she felt was more powerful due to its relation to Martin Luther King Day.

“This week means a lot with MLK’s birthday. To have such a historic event the day after really magnifies his dream coming true,” Bradley said.

Camera flashes were abundant during the high points in Obama’s Inaugural address. Along with the flashes were cries of agreement and joy as the moment became too much for some.

“This is the proudest day of my life as an American,” student center employee Matt Carter said. “This is one of those moments that you will always remember where you were and what you were doing.”

After the conclusion of the speech, the student center provided an Inaugural cake and punch for all attendees.

Students applaud President Barack Obama’s Inaugural address. (Stuart Palley)