Major Applewhite, please

Upon reading that former SMU coach Phil Bennett had been fired, I racked my brain and a plethora of football databases to discover possibilities for the next SMU football head coach. I mean, who wouldn’t want to revive a program desperate for a winning season and thereby be immortalized in Mustang lore for years to come? My first thought for a replacement was Larry Coker, ex-Miami coach, who could be coaxed out of retirement to jumpstart a perennial losing program and bring a winning attitude to a place that has not tasted the thrill of victory in 20 years. Next, I moved to the soon-to-be fired Texas A&M coach, Dennis Franchione, who has consistently failed to win on the big stage, posting a mediocre 31-26 overall record and an abysmal 18-19 record in the Big XII. Finally, my friend mentioned Major Applewhite, the former Texas quarterback and current Alabama offensive coordinator.

My mind began to run wild thinking about the possibility of young, fiery Applewhite pacing the sidelines of Ford Stadium for the next 10 (or more) years. Applewhite does not turn 30 until next year but has already coached at Texas, Syracuse, Rice and Alabama, not to mention he starred as UT’s quarterback from 1998-2001. He holds multiple records at Texas, including career passing yards (8,353), consecutive games scoring a touchdown (19) and career touchdown passes (60). One can only imagine what he can do to take Justin Willis, the preseason-ranked 12th best quarterback in the nation, according to collegefootballnews.com, to the next level and beyond. For example, look at his work at Rice and Alabama. Rice had traditionally run a wishbone offense, an offense based around running the quarterback option, into a high-powered passing attack led by All-American wide receiver Jarrett Dillard. In his first season at Alabama, Applewhite has flourished on the big stage, creating a balanced attack behind freshman running back Terry Grant and blossoming junior quarterback John Parker Wilson, who is on pace to set personal records in completions, yards and touchdowns. After years of being dormant, Applewhite has ignited the Alabama offense, which is averaging 32 points per game, up nine points from last year. Think about what he could do in Conference USA, which has almost half of its defenses ranked in the bottom 20 of total defense in America.

When SMU hired Phil Bennett, it expected a defensive-minded coach who would produce a tough, stingy defense. This mindset has obviously not worked out as SMU ranks near the bottom of every major defensive category. Why not try a change of pace, Mr. Orsini? Let’s bring in a guy who has revamped two stagnant offenses in only one year at each school. Major Applewhite is the guy, especially if you give him two to three years to develop a relationship with the players.

The youth movement in sports is upon us; colleges and pros alike are hiring the new generation of coaches. Just this year, the Oakland Raiders hired 31-year-old Lane Kiffin from USC, and last year’s national champion, Florida, was led by Urban Meyer who is only 43. Over the past decade, college football has drastically changed. Defenses are becoming faster, and more teams are adopting the spread offense to match speed with speed. The old-time “smash-mouth” football is disappearing, and the younger coaches understand this change, especially Applewhite, who is only seven years removed from college. He can relate to the new approach of football because of his exposure to the style, and thus can create successful game plans better suited for today’s game. If you don’t believe me, look at the success he is having as a first-year coordinator in the best conference in America, the SEC. His offensive schemes have lit up opposing defenses and allowed Alabama to fight for a SEC western division title.

SMU needs a young coach who will pump up not only the team, but the student body as well. This campus has been dead for 20 years, and it is time for a change. The SMU football program has the potential to win eight to nine games year in and year out while also competing for the Conference USA championship. Unfortunately, Phil Bennett could not accomplish this goal, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. The time for SMU football is now. The offensive firepower is there, led by Justin Willis, DeMyron Martin, James Mapps, Emmanuel Sanders and Columbus Givens. The defense has gained a lot of valuable experience having many redshirt freshmen and sophomores play important roles. With all of this said, my vote for the next SMU football coach is Major Applewhite because of the tremendous impact he could have not only on this campus, but also around the nation.

About the writer:

Harrison Kaufman is a sophomore political science and business major. He can be reached at [email protected].