Mustangs seek third straight win tonight at Tulane

The SMU Mustangs will look for their fourth Conference USA win tonight against 10-8, 3-1 Tulane.

Following wins over C-USA rivals East Carolina and Tulsa last week, Tulane will be the Mustangs’ second consecutive conference road game in a three-game series. As a result of their last two conference victories, the Mustangs are in a six-way tie for first place in C-USA rankings. Tulane is positioned just one spot behind SMU with one fewer win.

Sharing three conference wins with Marshall, UTEP, Southern Miss, UCF and Houston, SMU stands at 10-7 overall and 3-1 in their conference.

In the 20th meeting between the teams, Tulane holds a 12-7 advantage over the Mustangs. SMU defeated the Green Wave in Moody Coliseum last season, but faced a 71-68 loss to Tulane at Fogelman Arena.Having dropped three of the last four games to Tulane, the Mustangs post just one more win than the Green Wave heading into tonight’s game. Former players Janielle Dodds, Sharee Shepherd and Katy Cobb led the Mustangs to victory over Tulane at SMU last year. To win tonight, the Mustangs will have to rely on the power of returners Jillian Samuels and Haley Day along with freshman Christina Elliot.

Led by chief scorer, junior guard/forward, Brittany Gilliam, with an average of 14.6 points per game, the Mustangs also have junior forward, Delisha Wills, averaging 11.6 points per game. Coming in behind the Mustangs is Tulane’s leading scorer Brett Benzio, with 14.5 points per game and Indira Kaljo with 10.3 points per game.

Paralleling each other with an average of 38 rebounds, the Mustangs and Green Wave head into tonight’s game evenly matched on both ends of the court. Looking for their ninth win in 11 games, SMU hopes to defeat Tulane tonight to prevent them from breaking into the lead within conference standings.

Tip off for tonight’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m. SMU will return to Moody Coliseum to host the University of Houston Cougars (11-5, 3-1) on Jan. 29.